The Sustainability Team within the Office of Campus Planning and Sustainability works
to improve sustainability outcomes on KSU campuses through education and training,
student and faculty engagement, and operational improvements. Faculty within the Office
of Campus Planning and Sustainability work under Academic Affairs, while staff works
within the Division of Facilities Services. A summary of top focus areas is below.
Faculty and student engagement:
- Leading the annual Sustainability Across the Curriculum workshop to help faculty integrate sustainability themes into their courses
- Teaching “Sustainability at KSU” every spring
- Managing the Sustainability Faculty Fellows program
- Managing the Green Ambassadors Program, a student initiative providing education and outreach on sustainability at KSU
- Improving recycling through infrastructure and education
- Decreasing energy and water consumption on campus
- Developing an online portal to display real-time utility data
- Growing the use of alternative commuting (carpooling, teleworking, public transit....)
- Creating an annual greenhouse gas inventory to track the environmental impact of campus operations
- Adopting green building standards for new and renovated buildings
To learn about other key initiatives in 2016-2017, download the Sustainability Flier here.
KSU is a member of or signatory to several sustainability agreements, including Second Nature's Carbon Commitment, Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education (ARCHE), the Tailloires Declaration, the Georgia Campus Sustainability Network, and the Southeast Campus Sustainability Coordinators Network.
KSU provides annual reports on sustainability activities. Recent reports can be accessed via the links below:
- Climate Action Plan (2016, 2015, 2014)
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory (2018, 2017, 2016, 2014)
- Princeton Green Guide (2016, 2015)
Take a Sustainability Tour of Campus
Want to learn more about sustainability features at Kennesaw State University? Take a self-guided tour here, check out the sustainability maps (Kennesaw/Marietta), or schedule a guided tour with the Green Ambasadors.
KSU’s Sustainability Team is working on developing a long-term sustainability plan. As this is completed, details will be provided here.